What’s your story?
To share your research, product, or mission, you need to tell a clear story. Beyond language rules, you want your tone of voice and cultural vision to truly connect–otherwise, you risk misunderstanding and lost opportunity. I help you eliminate distractions from your message while attaining clear, compelling prose in your communications. As a writer, editor and translator, I love (co)-crafting well-written, clear texts that inform and inspire – whether for publication, publicity, or within your organization.
As someone who has lived and worked within multiple cultures, I offer insight into regional norms and the perspective to see when language issues get in the way of moving your audience.
The world moves fast and communication is how we acknowledge the bonds that we have through change. Social infrastructure, environmental sensitivity, and ethical interdependence are gaining as measures of success. Incorporating these perspectives into your story is another way I offer you more than the standard solutions to your communications needs.
What my clients say:
“We very much liked your take on the text–you have really bought out the story we wanted to tell. Thank you for bringing our story to life! ”
Wonu Owoade, More Than Brides Alliance
“Susan is efficient and professional, and communicates clearly. She provided more than just editing for our web site but also advice on presenting our services. We look forward to working with her again.”Lucy L, Owner, Sunshine Au Pair
“Susan is a dedicated and independent person, with a strong sense of responsibility and a great sense of humour. Moreover, I’ve always been very impressed by the ease with which she was able to appropriate complex matter and render it in her own words. Her basic knowledge of many areas is extensive, and she learns quickly.”Domeniek Ruyters, Executive Editor, Metropolis M
Editing services range from basic proofreading to revising sentances and structure. I start by learning your goals and audience, and shape your text or copy to suit.
- Web sites: Editing (or writing) the English-language version of your web site.
- Articles, research reports, annual reports, newsletters, press releases, marketing copy, presentations: editing, structuring, or proofreading; compiling bibliographies; formatting within style guidelines.
- Cultural translation/transcreation: English localization of Dutch or French texts for a target audience
- Fact-checking and research
I offer full-service writing for the above types of texts, as well as:
- Creative blog posts about your product or service for industrial, scientific, arts and culture, or community/spiritual audiences
- Newsletters and community or culture-curating
- Synthesizing perspectives for reader-friendly articles or reports – as white papers, social media content, or internal newsbriefs
- Interviewing and research for articles on relevant topics related to the role of your product/service or organization
- Attractive copy for your website, marketing and fundraising materials
Rates are based on your briefing, and dependent on the content and publishing media.
Clients – some of the work I’ve completed for others.
English communications training
If you want to have better interpersonal contact in English, I offer tailored one-on-one coaching. This is suitable if you already read books or newspapers in English, but expressing yourself is another story. I partner with you to empower your speaking, listening, and writing abilities through weekly sessions and homework assignments.
- present your research at an international conference
- lead a seminar in an English-language setting
- pitch international media and tell your company’s story
Each week I engage you in structured conversation, listening, writing and speaking exercises, homework, and mock presentations and interviews. You begin to embody the language and develop natural ways of expressing yourself.
To support your practice I create tailored materials that are relevant to your particular field or interest, so you are more engaged and inspired!
- Media professionals – spokespersons, journalists, press officers
- Academics – students and researchers presenting to mixed audiences in sciences and the humanities
- Professionals facing international clients, employees and audiences.
“Susan tailored the sessions very specifically to my wishes and learning goals, and they are very stimulating and enriching. The material we study and discuss is perfectly in line with my daily work. Because of her background, Susan has not only the language skills and didactic methods, but also the academic background that helps me continue in a successful way. ”– Maarten P, Utrecht University spokesperson
S Tyler Jenkins
EU: +31 (0)6 21 346 246
US: +01 917 855 9892
KvK (Utrecht) : 70207259
VAT #: NL 002487679B17